13 Views no discussions Share CoronavirusHealthInternationalLifestylePrint Deadly virus kills Tunisian man by: – May 21, 2013 Share Tweet Sharing is caring! The World Health Organisation says it is closely monitoring the virusA man has died of the novel coronavirus (NCoV) in Tunisia, in what is believed to be the first such case in Africa.Tunisia’s health ministry said the 66-year-old had visited Saudi Arabia, which is badly affected by the virus.About 20 deaths and 41 cases have been reported worldwide since 2012, the World Health Organisation (WHO) says. NCoV is from the same family of viruses as the one that caused the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (Sars) outbreak in 2003, killing about 770 people.However, NCoV and Sars are distinct from each other, the WHO says.It appears likely that the virus can be passed between people in close contact, it adds.The Tunisian man, a diabetic, had been complaining of breathing problems since he returned from Saudi Arabia and he died in hospital in the coastal city of Monastir, AFP news agency reports.Two of his children also contracted the virus, but had responded to treatment, the health ministry said, in a statement. “These Tunisia cases haven’t changed our risk assessment, but they do show the virus is still spreading,” said WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl, AP news agency reports. Cases have been detected in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Germany, the UK and France.“All of the European cases have had a direct or indirect connection to the Middle East, including two cases with recent travel history from the UAE,” the WHO Update says. Twenty-two of the 41 cases reported worldwide are in Saudi Arabia, it adds.Out of the 20 deaths, nine of them have been in the kingdom, WHO says. BBC News Share
For the past two days and nights anti-government protestors have been taking place in Caracas, and other regions, including former government strongholds, in Venezuela. The growing protests taking place across the country is demanding the resignation of the nation’s president, Nicolas Maduro. According to reports those opposed to the Maduro administration are planning a massive anti-government march.According to the Venezuelan Observatory for Social Conflict, up to Tuesday night the protests have spread to some 61 neighborhoods in Caracas, and at least one person had died during the protests.March planned for todayThe anti-government march is planned for today, January 23, and is expected to be one of the largest anti-government march in the country, and expected to include former supporters of the government, who are now subject to recent economic hardships. The reports indicate the Maduro administration is also planning a counter march, giving rise to fears that the two sides clash in the streets with disastrous results.International opposition Since Maduro’s recent reelection several countries including Jamaica, Haiti, Colombia, Brazil, and the US, have indicated they do not recognize his presidency, most citing that the elections were conducted fraudulently. There has been growing support within and outside Venezuela for the opposition National Assembly led by Juan Guaidó. Guaido is urging anti-government protestors to take to the streets march to oust Maduro.