When two reporters who cover the Angels showed up in White Sox camp recently, Pierzynski figured more attention was heading his way. After all, who could forget the role he played in the Angels’ playoff demise in 2005? Pierzynski soon realized, however, that this year there is a different White Sox tie to the Angels. “The Angels were a huge part of my career and I’ll have great memories, but when you step on the field, it’s time to win baseball games,” Erstad said, patiently taking the time for those who conveniently forgot about his competitive nature. “That’s how I feel against every team. It’s not just my personal vendetta against the Angels. It’s how I feel playing against anybody.” The White Sox and Angels will square off for the first time this spring March 17 in Tucson and again March 27 at Tempe. But the matchups Erstad is anticipating take place April 27-29 at Chicago and May 4-6 when the White Sox visit Angel Stadium. “Oh I might have a general idea of when the games are,” Erstad said with a smile when asked if he has marked the dates on his calendar. Unlike Tim Salmon last year, Erstad was shut down at the end of the season, depriving him of one farewell appearance or at-bat to receive acknowledgment from the home fans. “I don’t need that for personal stuff,” he said. “Obviously I have a very close relationship with the fans and the respect is mutual. It’s going to be tough being there, but when you strap it on, you can throw all that out the window.” The Angels are still discussing how to properly celebrate a fan favorite who now is in the opposing dugout. A video tribute is likely, at the very least. The hard-nosed Erstad isn’t sure what to expect when he comes back to Orange County. “I’m not expecting anything and I don’t know what will happen,” Erstad said. “Like I said, I have a lot of things to worry about before we get to that point.” Erstad was asked a tongue-in-cheek question about how he is getting along with his new teammate, Pierzynski, who was sitting at his locker a few feet away. Pierzynski, of course, took the bait, chiming in from a distance about reporters causing trouble. Erstad said there has been no reason to talk about the 2005 American League Championship, joking or otherwise. Pierzynski advanced to first base in Game 2 on a perceived dropped third strike, opening the door for a White Sox victory. “Hey, you guys know me, once the year is over and done with, you can close the book,” Erstad said. “That chapter is over. Things change and you just roll with it, just like I’ve said year after year. “My focus was what was going on in that Angels locker room and now my focus is what’s going on here. Find a way to make the team win. I have a one-track mind with these guys.” [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2731 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Erstad, the former Angel who had surgery on his right ankle this off-season, is getting a chance to earn a starting spot in either center or left field. “I’m very happy with how I feel and just getting back into the flow of playing again,” Erstad said. “I missed a lot of time and I’m just trying to get used to being on the field.” For the past two years, Erstad tried to grit his teeth and play through various injuries. It had an obvious impact on his game. “You have to find a way to make do with what you have and I did as best as I could and it wasn’t good enough,” Erstad said. “I’ll move on and go from there.” Erstad has heard about the small stir caused by a comment he made earlier this spring. While trying to let it be known that he is fully committed to the White Sox, he said the Angels were just another team. He said his desire is to kick the stuffing – so to speak – out of them. TUCSON, Ariz. – Darin Erstad is doing just fine in Chicago White Sox spring camp. He’s playing well and feeling healthy for the first time in more than two years. He is even … gulp … getting along with A.J. Pierzynski, who has a nearby locker.
Mohali: Skipper Virat Kohli led India to a resounding seven-wicket win over South Africa in the second T20 International with an unbeaten 72-run knock as the hosts took a 1-0 lead in the short three-match series here on Wednesday. Kohli (72 not out off 52 balls), who made a memorable 82 not out in his last T20 on this ground more than three years ago, helped India chased down the modest target with consummate ease, getting the team home in 19 overs. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhOpener Shikhar Dhawan (40 off 31) too made a significant contribution and shared a 61-run stand with the skipper, who scored his 22nd T20 fifty. His 52-ball knock comprised four boundaries and three sixes. The solid performance with the bat came after the bowlers restricted South Africa to 149 for five in 20 overs. The third and final T20 will be played in Bengaluru on Sunday. It effectively became a two-match series after the opening game in Dharamsala was washed out on September 15. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterIndia were always in control of the chase despite losing Rohit Sharma (12 off 12) early. The India vice-captain was trapped in front by Andile Phehlukwayo after he pulled debutant Anrich Nortje for two sixes in the second over. While it was a treat to watch Kohli, Rishabh Pant (4) threw away his wicket again. India were cruising when he came into the middle and it was an ideal platform for Pant to take the team over the line alongside his captain. It was an innocuous ball from debutant spinner Bjorn Fortuin but Pant hit it straight to the short fine-leg fielder Tabraiz Shamsi. Earlier, South Africa captain Quinton de Kock (52 off 37) and debutant Temba Bavuma (49 off 43) played impressive knocks but India managed to limit South Africa to a below-par total. South Africa did not get the final flourish they were looking for. India bowled well in the death overs, conceding only 24 runs in the final four with pacer Deepak Chahar being the pick of the bowlers, taking two wickets for 22 runs in four overs. Kohli sent a new-look South Africa in to bat with the visitors picking three debutants in Nortje, Fortuin and Bavuma. While Reeza Hendricks departed cheaply, de Kock looked in sublime touch from the word go. He cover drove spinner Washington Sundar on the first ball he faced before collecting three straight boundaries off pacer Navdeep Saini who was taken out of the attack after conceding 13 runs in his first over. Bavuma, South Africa’s Test specialist, joined de Kock after the fall of Hendricks in the fourth over and he too looked in fine touch. He made his intentions clear by pulling Hardik Pandya over deep square leg for a six. South Africa made only 39 for one in six overs but their innings picked up momentum after that as they reached 78 for one in 10 overs. It took a brilliant catch from skipper Kohli to dismiss de Kock and shift the momentum in India’s favour. De Kock mistimed a hit off Saini and Kohli came running from mid-off to pounce on it, brining the crowd back to life. The stand between de Kock and Bavuma yielded 57 runs. Vice-captain Rassie van der Dussen, South Africa’s best batsman in the World Cup, followed de Kock in the dressing room quickly by offering a simple return catch to Ravindra Jadeja in the 13th over, leaving his team at 90 for three. Runs dried up in the death overs but South Africa got much-needed couple of sixes in the 20th over off Saini which went for 16 runs.
New Delhi: The Congress on Thursday accused the BJP government in Uttar Pradesh of supporting rape accused former minister Swami Chinmayanand and questioned the “silence” of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and senior women leaders of the ruling party on no action against him. Congress spokesperson Sharmistha Mukherjee said by taking no action against the accused in the rape case it has become clear that the BJP is standing with Chinmayananda and is not inclined to provide justice to the victim, who has come out in the open with details of the crime. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details “This is a very serious issue. It has become very clear that this government has a very non-serious approach to tackle increasing crime against women. The government has a completely blind eye towards crime against women and they are instead protecting their leaders,” she told reporters, asking whether this case will also go the way the Unnao rape case has gone. Congress national secretary Pranav Jha also asked, “Will the prime minister take action against those committing crimes against women or remain silent and sidestep questions raised by the opposition.” Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from Thursday Mukherjee said Modi government is talking about ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ on one hand, while on the other hand it is “busy protecting those committing crimes against women”. She alleged that of the total budget allocated under the ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ scheme, as much as 40 per cent has been spent on publicity and only 19 per cent has been released to states for distribution among the affected women. “This clearly shows this government is only for publicity rather than helping the women…The prime minister and the government are making fun of the people, are making fun of the women and they are making a fool of the people in the country,” Mukherjee said. “We would like to ask the government what concrete measures have they taken to ensure the safety and security of women in the country. What is the government doing to prevent crimes against women,” she asked. Another Congress leader Supriya Shrinate also asked why the senior women leaders in the BJP are silent on Chinmayanand case. She asked who is behind Chinmayananda and why he was not being arrested despite the victims making public the charges against him. Earlier Thursday, Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra also slammed the BJP government and the police in Uttar Pradesh over the Chinmayanand case, saying they were repeating the “negligence” shown and “protection” given to the accused in the Unnao rape case. Her allegations came a day after the student, who has levelled rape charges against former Union minister Swami Chinmayanand, threatened to set herself on fire if the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader was not arrested immediately. The student also asked if the government was waiting for her to die even after her statement was recorded before a magistrate. The police had earlier registered a case of criminal intimidation and abduction on a complaint lodged by the student’s father. Later, the student, who studied in a college run by an organisation led by the BJP leader, also accused him of rape and “physical exploitation” for over a year. In the Unnao case, expelled BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar has been accused of rape by a 19-year-old woman.
Mumbai: In a measure of relief to account holders of the Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative (PMC) Bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Thursday enhanced the withdrawal limit for customers to Rs 10,000. “On a preliminary assessment of the bank’s latest depositor and liquidity profile as furnished by the administrator, RBI has decided, in the interest of depositors, to review the directions,” the RBI said in a statement.
Kolkata: West Bengal government has plans to set up a museum at the north Kolkata house of 19th century social reformer Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar where he had spent the last few years of his life, state minister Partha Chatterjee said. The museum will come up at Vidyasagar’s residence at Badur Bagan area where pictures and models, chronicling his life from his birth place at Birsinghapur village in Paschim Medinipur district to the house in north Kolkata, will be put on display, he said on Thursday. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja Chatterjee, who is the education minister, said this at a function after inaugurating ‘Vidyasagar Academy’ at the Badur Bagan residence on the 200th birth anniversary celebrations of the educational and social reformer. The minister also released two books, ‘Amader Vidyasagar’ and ‘Chotoder Vidyasagar’ at the programme. Some items used by Vidyasagar, gathering dust in the storeroom of the house, will be brought out for public viewing at the museum. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highway This will help the present generation to know about the man, who had waged a war against women oppression and propagated widow remarriage, he said. The School Education and Higher Education department will organise seminars highlighting Vidaysagar’s life and work in schools and colleges during a year-long programme, Chatterjee said. Listing other activities to be taken up by the academy, Chatterjee said that a collection of hitherto unknown writings by Vidyasagar will be published. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had recently announced that Vidyasagar’s birthplace at Birsinghapur village will be developed as an educational tourist hub. On Thursday, a bronze statue of Vidyasagar was installed at Vidyasagar College. “Those who are against the social reforms of Vidyasagar had vandalised his bust at the institution associated with his name,” the minister said. A bust of the social reformer was vandalised during a road show of BJP chief Amit Shah in the city in May.