The integrated system is planned to be further expanded, and already offers numerous facilities in Rijeka this summer, where citizens and guests are offered a large selection of easily accessible city services used with just a few clicks, through a digital wallet installed on the user’s mobile phone. Payment is made via the mobile Rijeka Wallet application, which provides the service user with the possibility of personal identification and shopping on the online platform. According to the creators of the application, this type of service is becoming increasingly dominant in Europe, where when using a paid service, a scan code must be performed from the user’s mobile device. Bravo Rijeka. Rijeka Marketplace is a project of the Tourist Board of the City of Rijeka, which with partners – JuiceCommerce and Multilink Digital media – in an effort to digitize and apply the most modern technologies in tourism has developed an infrastructure for developing smart destinations in Rijeka and its surroundings, based on blockchain technology. “With the implementation of this application, Rijeka ranks among the top cities with innovative solutions in tourism, which is logical given the fact that Rijeka is recognized as one of the leaders among fast-growing destinations and European smart cities. “, Said the mayor of Rijeka, Vojko Obersnel, expressing the belief that many cities in Croatia and the world will follow such solutions to facilitate tourist navigation in the city. The director of the Tourist Board of the City of Rijeka, Petar Škarpa, stated that the project, launched last year, will change the way of advertising, promotion and use of services in tourism, adding that it is very well accepted by all involved associates. “We followed the trends in the world, but we did not copy anyone, but we took a different approach with the implementation of blockchain technology in tourism”, Said Škarpa, adding that the platform will be fully completed by the end of 2019. The project was presented in more detail by Michael Hasler from JuiceCommerce and Maša Radišić from Multilink / Digital Media. “Rijeka is thus placed on the international map of innovations, at the moment there is no such application anywhere in the world“, Said Hasler, adding that blockchain technology on this service enables the cooperation of different systems of individual services in one place, which are not complementary to each other. The Peek & Poke Museum presented the digital platform Rijeka Marketplace, an integrated service that combines the promotion of tourist services and products and their purchase. The platform in one place and in a simple way provides all the information about Rijeka as a tourist destination, offers easy sale of services for various events, but also accommodation in hotels and apartments, public transport and products. The application represents a major step forward in the way of offering tourist services, is a place of central meeting of tourist supply and demand, and allows entrepreneurs in tourism to use the latest technologies in a convenient and simple way. The wish is for the platform to further contribute to Rijeka’s tourist traffic and consumption in this destination, which is extremely important in the context of next year’s events when Rijeka will become the European Capital of Culture. Also, an analytical system is being developed that will process all data on the use of the platform for market research and service improvement. Explore the Rijeka Marketplace HERE
Michel Williams. Photo credit: Facebook profileThe Court of Appeal on Tuesday reserved judgment in a trial involving a former manager of the National Bank of Dominica Michel Williams and the Bank.Williams filed a lawsuit against the Bank citing wrongful dismissal however the Bank won the case at the High Court therefore he appealed the decision. However, he will have to wait a while longer to know the Court of Appeal’s decision against Justice Brian Cottle’s decision at a later date.Guyanese attorney Stephen Fraser who represents Williams argued that the bank wrongfully dismissed his client, noting that the termination letter dated 31st March, 2009 was in breach of his client’s contract which he signed in December of 2008.Fraser asked the court to consider all seven grounds of his appeal which includes damages for loss of future employment.Fraser told the Court that the actions of the board in terminating the services of his client were wrong as it was without cause and cannot stand. He said the parties entered into a bargain and termination without cause is a serious breach of contract, “the board had no power to dismiss without cause,” Fraser told the Court. Alick Lawrence who represents the National Bank of Dominica denied allegations that former managing director Gregory de Gannes victimized Williams. Lawrence asked the Court not to believe suggestions that de Gannes dismissed Williams because he refused to act on a loan application for him in the amount of $2.5 million. Lawrence argued in Court that the delay in signing a previous contract for Williams had nothing to do with victimization and was the decision of the board and not that of de Gannes.Dominica Vibes News 43 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Share Share Share LocalNews Court of Appeal reserves judgment in former NDB manager’s case by: – May 2, 2012 Tweet
Ghanaian midfielder Abdul Aziz Tetteh has returned to Platanias ahead of the new season in August.The 25 year old, who dislocated his shoulder at the end of last season, was one of the few players who reported for training at the first day.Tetteh is keen to continue his fine form for the Greek top-flight side this season after helping them avoid relegation last season.He played 30 games and scored four goals.Platanias head coach Angelos Anastasiadis has expressed delight in the entire squad and is exciting about the potential of his team.“We have a great squad with exciting potential and looking forward to having a memorable season ahead,” he said.
Madrid, Spain | AFP | Clock-watching is an integral part of any Olympic Games but even the most eagle-eyed sporting anoraks might be forgiven for missing the fact that Sunday marks 600 days until the start of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.For most people, it is not actually a particularly significant milestone but for 160 people of 35 nationalities beavering away in a building overlooking a highway in Madrid, the pressure of organising the biggest television show on earth just went up a notch.These are the people of the Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS), a wing of the International Olympic Committee responsible since 2008 for providing the pictures of every competition which are beamed around the world.The size of the audience is phenomenal as is the money that is generated.Over five billion viewers tuned in for the last Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 as opposed to 3.4 billion for this year’s football World Cup.Television stations from around the world have dished out more than six billion dollars for the rights to the Games in Tokyo — broadcasting the event is a complex, lucrative business managed from the Spanish capital.“Preparing and planning for the games is an ongoing function, so as we speak we are obviously very close to the finalisation of our plans for Tokyo,” says Yiannis Exarchos, the imposing Greek boss of the OBS.“But we have already started quite detailed planning for the winter games in Beijing (2022) and we have already started engaging with Paris (2024) and Los Angeles (2028).”– A ‘burden’ on host cities –The first time pictures were beamed live from the Olympics was Berlin in 1936. It wasn’t until the 1964 Games, also in Tokyo, that pictures went live around the world.Back then it was the responsibility of the host nation to provide the coverage and that is how it stayed until 2008.“During the games we employ a team of more than 7,000 professionals coming from 90 different countries, we have 1,000 cameras, hundreds of thousands of kilometres of cables,” says Exarchos. “This started to become a big burden for the organising committee as the Games grew bigger and more complex.“As early as the Games of Atlanta (1996), it was made clear that the IOC should do something to support the cities.”So it was that the IOC created OBS in 2001 to provide coverage of all Olympic and Paralympic Games.– Infrastructure –Beijing 2008 marked the OBS’ first outing and it comes as no surprise to discover that Sotiris Salamouris, who is in charge of technology at OBS, was back in Beijing last month to discuss the next Winter Olympics in 2022.“We need to have a good number of discussions with the organising committee in terms of the infrastructures they need to make available for us,” says Salamouris. “The IBC, that is the priority.”The IBC is the International Broadcast Centre, a bustling hub set up in each host city where television channels from all over the world get the signal from OBS to broadcast back home.“We need to work quite early with the organising committee to find this facility, to secure it, to agree about timelines, additional works necessary.“This is what we have begun with Paris,” says Salamouris looking ahead already to the Summer Olympics of 2024.Given that the IOC is based in Lausanne, it may raise an eyebrow to see that the OBS is centred in Madrid.“It does not come from heaven, it comes from (Manolo) Romero,” jokes IOC member Juan Antonio Samaranch Salisachs whose father served 21 years as president of the IOC.A Spaniard and in charge of radio and television coverage of the Games since Mexico in 1968, Romero was appointed head of OBS when it was created and insisted on the headquarters being in Madrid, where he lived.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2