For people interested in starting a new food business, the University of Georgia will offer a two-day workshop in Tifton, Ga. Farm to Fork: Making the Connection will be held Nov. 1 and 2 at the National Environmentally Sound Production Agriculture Laboratory. The program will cover business planning and financing, formulation and packaging, and distribution and sales. Participants will learn legal and regulatory issues and develop food-defense plans. Experts with UGA’s Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development will discuss quality and food safety concerns. Participants will leave with a personalized score card detailing their business development progress.The Nov. 1 workshop will last 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 2 one will last 9 a.m. to noon. NESPAL is located at 2360 Rainwater Road in Tifton, Ga. Preregistration is required. Scholarships are available for the first 40 participants who apply. Registration includes lunch Nov. 1, as well as beverage breaks and snacks on both days. The workshop is sponsored by UGA’s Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development and the Georgia Center of Innovation for Agribusiness. To register or for more information, go to the website www.areg.caes.uga.edu/#farmtofork .
By Nelza Oliveira/Diálogo September 19, 2018 Brazil welcomed the Multipurpose Helicopter Carrier (PHM, in Portuguese) Atlântico, the largest warship in Latin America, with a naval parade and a 21-gun salute in Rio de Janeiro. The Brazilian Navy (MB, in Portuguese) purchased the ship from the British government. The transfer of the PHM Atlântico to the Brazilian crew included experience and technical know how about the ship, as well as courses from the United Kingdom Royal Navy and manufacturers of the onboard equipment. The Brazilian crew also took part in operational exercises conducted by the Flag Officer Sea Training, which ensures vessel operability, at the Royal Navy Training Center. “We had the opportunity to do a hot handover, which is the transfer of knowledge and experience by the British crew, acquired in the last 20 years of operating the ship, to the Brazilian crew. In the process, we steered the ship and reviewed different equipment to ensure the Brazilian Navy would receive a fully operational ship,” said MB Captain Giovani Corrêa, commander of PHM Atlântico. Chance purchase The British-built, formerly named HMS Ocean, is 203 meters long and weighs 21,578 tons. The ship can simultaneously operate seven aircraft on the flight deck, and transport up to 12 in its hangar. Up to 800 service members, who can deploy with helicopters or four landing crafts, can travel aboard. Brazil purchased PHM Atlântico for $109 million. The British government had already invested $92 million to refurbish the ship between 2013 and 2014. “It was a chance purchase. The Royal Navy was parting with it because they had built two aircraft carriers and needed the personnel who operated this ship to join the crew of the new vessels. It once was the British squadron’s fleet flagship; it’s in great condition and proved to be an excellent acquisition for the Navy,” Capt. Giovani said. Family and friends waited for the return of the 303 service members who spent up to six months in England, learning to operate the ship. Brazil welcomed them with pride on August 25th. “The most difficult part was the time away from family. Although the vessel is large and comfortable, we spent many days unable to contact family because of the limitations and difficulties with signal, communication and security,” said MB Lieutenant Commander Márcia Freitas, head of the health department and the only female aboard PHM Atlântico. Training and missions The ship can fulfill many missions, including maritime area control, in support of the Navy in war and strategic logistics operations, as well as to transport service members, munitions, supplies, drinking water, and equipment. With medical facilities on board, the ship is also ideal for humanitarian missions, natural disaster relief, personnel evacuations, and peacekeeping operations. “It’s a deterring force in the South Atlantic to maintain security, cooperation and peace, all of which are essential to the Brazilian economy. The ship can also assist in peacekeeping operations, as we do with our fleets in Lebanon,” said Capt. Giovani. Under the Royal Navy fleet, the ship participated in several humanitarian aid operations: in the Caribbean after Hurricane Irma hit in 2017, and in Honduras and Nicaragua after Hurricane Mitch hit in 1998. In 2003, the vessel provided support to the London 2012 Summer Olympics. PHM Atlântico will be the Brazilian fleet’s main ship, a position NAe São Paulo aircraft carrier held previously. “[With PHM Atlântico] our pilots will be able to maintain training and be qualified in several types of missions, with a platform that operates all Navy aircraft, night and day,” said Capt. Giovani. In Brazil, the ship will add 129 crew-members to the 303 who returned from England. According to the officer, the Atlântico will incentivize the country’s naval industry. “The complexity level of a helicopter carrier is very high. This ship stimulates the naval industry, as maintenance of its equipment will require industrial and engineering capacities from our Navy Arsenal, but it will also represent an opportunity for defense industries to develop skills and keep their workforce qualified,” Capt. Giovani concluded.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: The rain and gloom around the Sydney Cricket Ground which dominated play on day 4 mirrored the mood of the Australian cricket team, who were now on the threshold of losing a series to an Asian nation for the first time ever. When play did happen, Kuldeep Yadav spun a web and picked up a five-wicket haul in his first Test in Australia, giving India a 322-run lead. After 33 years, India had enforced the follow-on in Australia. Coincidentally, when it happened the first time in 1986, the venue was Sydney. However, bad light and rain returned and only 25.2 overs were possible on the fourth day of the final Test on Sunday.When rain washed out the entire first session, the dynamics centered on how Virat Kohli would approach the situation considering that he had nothing to lose. When play resumed, Mohammed Shami got a delivery to stay low to breach the defences of Pat Cummins (25), who had once again shown tremendous application like the way he did in Melbourne. Peter Handscomb tackled Kuldeep brilliantly by sweeping and whipping him for two boundaries but once Jasprit Bumrah got Handscomb (36) inside-edging back onto the stumps, the tail was exposed.Read More | Kuldeep Yadav takes five wickets in first game in AustraliaKuldeep trapped Nathan Lyon (0) with a flighted delivery and the batsman missed the sweep. The chinaman should have gotten his fifth immediately afterwards when Josh Hazlewood miscued a slog to midwicket only for Hanuma Vihari to spill the chance. Hazlewood and Starc proceeded to frustrate Kohli’s push for an early enforcement of the follow-on as they stitched a 42-run stand. However, Kuldeep finally had his fifer when he trapped Hazlewood (21) in front with a quicker delivery that skid through. His haul of 5/99 was his second five-wicket haul in his career and he became only the second Indian left-arm spinner and the first chinaman bowler to take a five-wicket haul in Australia after Bishan Singh Bedi.Read More | India v Australia, highlight: Bad light ends play, Kohli’s side on topAustralia were bowled out for 300 and India, armed with a massive lead, enforced the follow-on with both Marcus Harris and Usman Khawaja surviving some tricky overs. However, with the light deteriorating, early tea was taken but the rain ensured no further play was possible. The weather is expected to remain the same tomorrow as well, but it is just a mere formality as Kohli and his Indian cricket team etches their names in the history books.
Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, has officially opened a new multi-million dollar state-of-the-art Paediatric Cardiac Centre at the Bustamante Hospital for Children.The centre currently offers treatment and surgeries for children living with congenital heart defects. It is the only one of its kind in Jamaica, and it is complete with a 10-bed intensive care unit and a state-of-the-art biplane catheterisation lab.The opening ceremony for the facility took place on Monday (April 15), on the grounds of the hospital, in Kingston.Dr. Tufton said the centre will make a major difference in the lives of children who suffer from congenital heart defects.“We have a responsibility to the next generation, and this demonstrates our commitment to carrying out that responsibility. There are about 400 or so children who are born in Jamaica with congenital heart-related diseases. Of that number, some 200 require some sort of surgical intervention. We have a waiting list of close to 200 currently in the country, so this facility is a response to that,” the Minister said.He said one major goal within the first year after the official opening is to deliver a minimum of 100 heart surgeries inside the facility.“We’re going to be building that up until we get to the stage where we can satisfy the demand [for heart surgeries] that exist,” he added.He also thanked the donors: Shaggy Make a Difference, Digicel Group, Digicel Foundation, Chain of Hope, Sagicor Group Jamaica, Rotary Club, National Health Fund and individual donors, for contributions they have made to the construction and equipment.Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton (right), hugs Dr. Venice Guntly-McKenzie (second right), inside the new Paediatric Cardiac Centre which was officially opened at the Bustamante Hospital for Children on Monday (April 15). With them are Senior Medical Officer, Bustamante Hospital for Children, Dr. Michelle-Ann Richards (left); and Chief Executive Officer, Sagicor Bank, Chorvelle Johnson. Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, has officially opened a new multi-million dollar state-of-the-art Paediatric Cardiac Centre at the Bustamante Hospital for Children. “Their contribution on this journey is unquestionable. In fact, we wouldn’t be here without them,” the Minister said.He also noted that the Government and donors are currently paying the cost for the surgeries, which can cost families approximately US$5,500 for surgery for children or US$2,000 for other procedures that are offered at the paediatric cardiac centre.“We don’t charge for surgeries currently. We’re asking for contributions, because that’s what it costs us and our partners,” Dr. Tufton said.He said the Ministry of Health will continue to put strategies in place that prevent children from suffering from congenital heart defects.“It’s in keeping with our thrust to not only push prevention, but there are so many cases when prevention is not sufficient. In this instance, our young kids who are born with these conditions need curative measures, and we have a duty to provide that,” the Minister said. The centre currently offers treatment and surgeries for children living with congenital heart defects. It is the only one of its kind in Jamaica, and it is complete with a 10-bed intensive care unit and a state-of-the-art biplane catheterisation lab. The opening ceremony for the facility took place on Monday (April 15), on the grounds of the hospital, in Kingston. Story Highlights