RelatedPosts Germany still winless in UEFA Nations League after drawing with Switzerland UEFA president Ceferin said leagues ready to play behind closed doors Ireland appoints new manager Defending champions Portugal and the last two world champions, France and Germany, were thrown together following a lopsided and complicated Euro 2020 draw on Saturday. And German coach Joachim Loew described it as the group of death. England were drawn against Croatia in a repeat of last year’s World Cup semi-final, while other favourites were given a much easier ride in the 24-team tournament, which will be played in 12 different countries across the region. The clear pick of the six first round pools was Group F, to be played in Munich and Budapest, which pitted France, Portugal and Germany, plus the winners of either playoff A or D. However, the sting was slightly taken away by the format which allows four of the six third-placed teams to qualify for the round of 16, UEFA’s decision to rank the teams according to their result in the qualifiers, combined with Portugal’s performance in their group, meant they ended up among the third seeds. France were one of the second seeds. “This is a group of death,” said Loew whose side will play all three games at home under competition rules. “The expectations will be quite high. For our young team, this will be huge challenge but also a big motivation.” England and Croatia, who have met in the Nations League since Croatia’s 2-1 win in Moscow last year, will be joined in Group D by the Czech Republic and the winners of playoff C. That means either of Scotland, Norway, Serbia or Israel. The Group D winners will face the runners-up from Germany’s group in the round of 16. The second-placed team will travel to Copenhagen to meet the Group E runners-up — potentially an easier match. The Group will be played in London — host for the semi-finals and final — and Glasgow. Other favourites were given a much easier-looking ride. Italy, who won all 10 qualifying games as they bounced back from failing to make the last World Cup, will face Turkey, Wales and Switzerland in Group A, in Rome and Baku. “We have a slight advantage by playing at home. Maybe some will think we are favourites but we need to confirm everything on the pitch, as always,” Italy coach Roberto Mancini said. Euro 2008 and 2012 champions Spain, who will jointly host Group E in Bilbao with Dublin, play Sweden, Poland and playoff winner B — either Bosnia, Slovakia, Ireland or Northern Ireland. Belgium’s opponents in Group B will be Denmark and Russia —who are both host nations — and Finland, who will be making their first appearance in a European Championship or World Cup. The Netherlands, who like Italy missed out on the last World Cup, were pitted against Ukraine, Austria and playoff winner A or D in Group C, which will be played in Amsterdam and Bucharest. Under the complex rules, all host nations will play their group games at home, meaning a number of teams had been allocated their groups before the draw “The rules are clear, they were accepted by everybody,” said UEFA deputy general secretary Giorgio Marchetti. “Portugal are in pot three because they didn’t win their group, and the winner of their group was Ukraine. “And Ukraine, thanks to their results, are in pot one, and everybody accepts it because once again we have clear rules.” Reuters/NAN.Tags: Euro 2020Joachim Loew
Hounslow’s Rajiv Ouseph missed out on a place in the men’s singles final at badminton’s Copenhagen Masters after losing to Danish star Peter Gade in their Group Two clash on Wednesday evening.After losing the first game, Ouseph took the second but Gade hit back to win the decider.Earlier, the British champion won his opening group match, beating Dutchman Eric Pang 21-11, 18-21, 21-12.AdChoices广告Gade also recorded a victory over Pang, defeating him 21-13 21-11 when they met on Tuesday, and progressed to the final after beating Ouseph 21-14, 12-21, 21-15.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
As the controversy surrounding an aborted Tennis Jamaica (TJ) election, which took place in November 2015, rages on, presidential candidate John Azar is looking to clear the air, as he disputes the association’s position on the troubled election, among other things. Azar is contesting that he was legitimately elected at the abandoned meeting and is rejecting Tennis Jamaica’s report of what transpired at the election, and noted, contrary to previous communication, that it was his supporters who called for an immediate re-vote, while taking issue with several outlined resolutions ahead of a scheduled re-vote. Tennis Jamaica’s decision to declare last year’s election null and void is also a sticking point for Azar, who noted that this matter is currently before the courts. An election of officers, which took place during Tennis Jamaica’s annual general meeting at the Sports Development Foundation’s conference room on November 19, 2015, was adjourned over what the John Bailey-led TJ administration called an ‘administrative’ error, which saw more than the 77 legitimate voters casting ballots. At the end of the election, Bailey tallied 43 votes to Azar’s 40 – six more than the total number of persons eligible to vote. This led to Tennis Jamaica subsequently declaring the election null and void. Tennis Jamaica, which has rescheduled its election of officers to April 12, has itself bashed who it termed “unscrupulous persons”, and distanced itself from the issue. A lawsuit has since been filed against the organisation and three of its senior members by Joseph Dibbs, who is also a member of Tennis Jamaica. Dibbs is challenging the aborted status of the election and contests that Azar was duly elected President of the organisation at the ill-fated AGM. The suit also demands that the election of other officers be conducted with the same voters’ list. An injunction was also filed against an extraordinary general meeting scheduled for March 3, at the Jamaica Olympic Association, where several resolutions are expected to be deliberated. ‘DELIBERATE ATTEMPT TO COMPROMISE’ In a press release issued yesterday afternoon, Azar described the over-voting at last year’s elections as a deliberate attempt by the administration to compromise the process. “At their press conference held on December 10, 2015, Tennis Jamaica referred to the over-voting at the November 19 AGM as being “nothing deliberate” and attributed it to “an administrative error”. My view of what transpired is totally different: Over-voting, or the stuffing of a ballot box can only be a very deliberate act clearly designed to hijack the democratic process,” wrote Azar. “For the record, Tennis Jamaica accepts that I received 40 votes on the night in question, while Bailey received 43 votes in the election for president. They also confirm that 77 voters were eligible on the night – either in person or via proxy. The fact is that all 40 votes cast for me have been confirmed and accounted for as sworn affidavits have been signed to that effect. Forty out of 77 is indeed a clear majority,” the release continued. Azar has also called for a list of potential voters and is arguing that resolutions set to be voted on by the membership at the March 3 meeting will change existing rules concerning the eligibility of voters prior to what is considered the continuation of an election.
17 December 200446-year-old East Rand salesman Eddie du Pisanie is retrenched and decides life is no longer worth living. He writes a suicide note to his wife and is about to gas himself in his car in the garage when he switches on the car radio.The Elvis Presley song he hears does more than take him back 30 years – it recalls an event in his childhood that changed his life forever.Abandoning – for the moment – the idea of suicide, he drives the 200 kilometre journey to the town in which he grew up, to a lamp post opposite the ex-Carlton Bioscope in Witbank, there to retrace his life, to try to find out what went wrong, how it went wrong, and why it went wrong …Can we change our own destinies? “Elvis” du Pisanie is about to find out …“The Return of Elvis du Pisanie”, first performed in 1992, won more awards in a single year than any other play in the history of South African Theatre: the 1993 Vita, Fleur du Cap and Dalro Awards included best new South African play, best actor, best production, best director – as well as The Star Tonight/IGI Life Vita Award for Comedy.“The Return of Elvis du Pisanie”, written and performed by Paul Slabolepszy and directed by Lara Foot Newton, comes to Cape Town’s Theatre on the Bay for five performances from 18 to 22 January 2005.SouthAfrica.info reporter
Last week (Oct 22-25) ARMA, the Association for Records Managers and Administrators, held it’s annual meeting, ARMA International 2006 in San Antonio.Just prior to the meeting there was some speculation of a merger of ARMA and AIIM organizations, but that didn’t happen. One problem at ARMA is that it hasn’t done a good job of embracing the management of electronic records, preferring to concentrate more on the handling of paper documents. A tie-up with AIIM would have been able to marry a strong IT capability with the policy and procedural strengths in RM of ARMA. But the cultures between the two organizations are different, ARMA being driven more from users / RM practitioners and AIIM being driven by vendor organizations.Instead what was announced at ARMA International was a collaboration between ARMA and SNIA (the Storage Networking Industry Association).During the week at ARMA International, they emphasized the need for collaboration between Records/Information Management (RIM), IT, legal and security professionals to address the complexities of managing records and information. The tie-up with SNIA should help fill the needed gap in the area of IT.Some of the areas of collaboration between the two groups will include:– Publishing joint papers, like their new paper, “Collaboration: The New Standard of Excellence“.– Cross-Education and participation in each other’s conferences– Cross-promotion of the 100 Year Archive Task Force, an initiative started by SNIA that is global and multi-agency based, defining best practrices for long term digital information retention.With this announcement it looks like ARMA will be adding much needed IT expertise to their organization. The ARMA/SNIA alliance looks like it will be mutually beneficial for both organizations.
Related Posts Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Tags:#mobile#NYT#web The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology BlackBerry maker RIM has agreed to the Indonesian government’s demands to implement pornography filters for the country’s 2 million BlackBerry users. According to a statement from the company RIM is seeking a “prompt, compliant filtering solution.” The Indonesian government gave RIM until January 21 to begin filtering porn sites or face being shut down in the country.RIM has faced these sorts of threats from other governments for failing to censor online content, most notably last year when both Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were poised to ban the devices for non-compliance with the countries’ telecommunications rules. But this is the first time that RIM has publically agreed to filter Internet content on its phones. However it’s unlikely to be the last time that it will face these sorts of demands, particularly as RIM expands into countries where there are heavy restrictions on porn and other “objectionable” content. “This isn’t just Indonesia,” Heru Sutadi, a member of the Indonesian Telecommunications Regulatory Body, which oversees the industry, told Bloomberg. “Middle Eastern countries are also being hard on RIM. By looking at the big Indonesia market, I’m sure RIM will obey.”According to Bloomberg, the filtering in Indonesia may include a complete blocking of the BlackBerry’s web browsing capabilities. While RIM has said it will offer an Internet filter in Indonesia, it has complied with several other of the government’s requests, building a server in Indonesia so authorities can “conduct investigations against perpetrators of crime.” Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement audrey watters
New Delhi: Former India cricketer Yuvraj Singh has suggested that Rohit Sharma can be considered for T20 captaincy if Virat Kohli feels “overloaded” by leading the side in all three formats. Rohit, the vice-captain of India’s limited-overs sides, has been the most successful captain in the IPL, leading Mumbai Indians to four title wins and Yuvraj said it won’t be a bad idea for India to try out split captaincy to ease the workload of the best batsman in the world. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: Rijiju”Earlier there used to be just two formats — ODI and Tests, so it was perfect to have one captain. Now there are three formats and if Virat is feeling overloaded, maybe they should try somebody else for the T20 format. Rohit has been a very successful captain,” Yuvraj told a news channel. “I don’t really know. They (team management) have to decide how much workload Virat can take. Do they need to try somebody else for T20? It completely depends on how they want to go for the future. Virat has been the best batsman. How to manage his workload? It is completely team management’s call.” Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai MastersYuvraj also took a dig at the team management for getting the crucial no.4 position wrong in the ICC World Cup in England earlier this year. “You need to identify who is your best talent and then back him. The highest score in no.4 position at the World Cup was 48. The captain, coach and the selectors should have known that no. 4 is a very important position, especially in England where the ball seams,” he said. “The no. 4 batsman has to be technically strong. Vijay Shankar didn’t have that experience, Rishabh Pant didn’t have the experience. Dinesh Karthik was an experienced guy who was sitting out and suddenly went to bat in the semi-final.” He said any cricketer needs a sense of security to excel. “I really didn’t understand what the think-tank was doing. If you had to get the best out of a player you have to secure him. A player can never play well if he is insecure. That was the big reason why India didn’t win the World Cup,” Yuvraj said.
New Delhi: Midnapore railway station in West Bengal has become the 5000th station in the country to have free public Wi-Fi, officials said on Saturday. RailTel, a PSU under the railways, started providing free Wi-Fi from Mumbai Central station in January 2016. In a span of 44 months, RailTel has successfully provided Wi-Fi at 5000 stations across the country, the railways said. Talking about the journey so far, Puneet Chawla, CMD/RailTel, said, “We are now just few hundred stations away from achieving the ambitious target of providing free public Wi-Fi at all Indian railway stations (except the halt ones). Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja “The dedication of the RailTel team, our partners and support from the Indian railways has made it possible. The free Wi-Fi is becoming more and more popular with users. “The month of August 2019 saw total 1.14 crores of user logins in ‘RailWire’ Wi-Fi services with 10192.55 TB of data usage across all stations,” the railways said. Out of total of about 5000 stations commissioned so far, 70 per cent are in rural areas. During the month of August, a total of 11.25 lakh users availed the Rural Wi-Fi services at 3406 rural railway stations with 2305 TB of data download. Free Wi-Fi service to passengers are being provided under ‘RailWire’- the retail broadband initiative of RailTel catering to enterprises, SMEs and homes.
Mumbai: Shahid Kapoor on Sunday said he approaches characters with fearless honesty, never succumbing to the pressure of being one of those actors who want to “manipulate” the audience to be liked. Shahid’s recent turn in “Kabir Singh” ignited a debate about romance and the toxicity in a relationship. While the film went on to become one of the biggest grossers of the year, it was also met with criticism for its hero-like portrayal of a flawed man. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold Schwarzenegger “The first responsibility that an actor has towards the audience is to give them an honest portrayal. I think that happens very rarely. Because of these kind of pressures, people are so careful that ‘if I do this people will like me, if I do this people won’t.’ “That’s manipulating the audience to like you. I don’t want to be that kind of an actor,” Shahid said. The actor said if sometimes audiences react strongly towards his portrayal, it encourages him. Also Read – Salman pays tribute to Vinod Khanna on ‘Dabangg 3’ wrap up “If that means that at certain points of time they don’t like me, I take that as a big compliment. That’s what acting is all about. You’re meant to play characters and represent life the way it is.” Shahid said even in reality, there is no one who has loved him at every point in his life. “I must’ve gone through phases where even my parents probably really disliked me. If I’m playing a character why should I be not showing all those facets? Why should we create this bubblegum reality which doesn’t exist. Today a film which is so real and raw is making Rs 280 crore. “We need to wake up and realise that the audience wants to see a little bit of the truth. They don’t want to watch single dimensional films.” The “Udta Punjab” star said audiences should have the freedom to make up their mind when they see a character on screen. “My responsibility to the audience is to give them a good, honest performance and hopefully for them to understand why my character behaves the way he does, what his reasons are. It’s on them to decide themselves whether they agree or disagree with his behaviour. Cinema is meant to make you reflect on life,” he added.