NewsLocal NewsLimerick Council housing department meets a wall of criticismBy Alan Jacques – March 13, 2015 1187 TAGSCllr Francis FoleyCllr Jerome ScanlanCllr John SheahanCllr Liam GalvinCllr Michael CollinsCllr Seamus BrowneFianna FáilFine GaellimerickLimerick City and County CouncilMunicipal District of Newcastle WestSinn Fein by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr Liam GalvinLIMERICK City and County Council’s housing department came under heavy fire as councillors expressed their discontent with how it’s been run since the merger of the two local authorities last year.At this month’s Newcastle West municipal district meeting, Fine Gael councillor Liam Galvin said it was “scandalous” that he had to put a motion on the agenda to get works carried out at a council house in Garravane, Mountcollins.“I’m not happy with how the housing department is being run. It’s not working. After exhausting every other avenue, I have had to put this on the agenda to try alleviate problems for a young family with young children,” he explained.Cllr Galvin said the house was damp and cold and had problems with leaks. An estimated €50,000 had originally been spent by the Council on works when it was purchased for social housing stock, but local councillors raised serious questions about the workmanship involved.He warned the council that he would address issues in regards social housing through motions at public meetings if the housing department didn’t up its game.“I’m a little perturbed that this issue had to be brought up at a council meeting and I’m disturbed to hear work had already been carried out in this house. Who signed off on the work?” Fine Gael councillor John Sheahan asked.Sinn Fein councillor Seamus Browne said he was disappointed that Cllr Galvin was forced to take such drastic measures to get this work completed for a young family.“Our housing stock is deteriorating rapidly and has been for many years. The same standards in the private sector do not seem to apply to the local authority. There are houses out there with no insulation,” he claimed.Fine Gael councillor Jerome Scanlan told the council executive that their tenants were expected to pay local property tax, but didn’t get the same service as that expected by tenants from landlords in the private sector.“Rents in Newcastle West are around €135 a week,” he said.Fianna Fail councillor Francis Foley asked that the Council take inventory of its social housing stock and provide money to upgrade it.“Some of these homes haven’t been upgraded in over 20 years. House are freezing, people have no insulation, yet rents are going up,” he said.Cllr Michael Collins (FF), an auctioneer in Newcastle West, said that no one at the Council was taking responsibility for this problem. When his fellow councillors asked his opinion on the current value of council house in Garravane, Mountcollins, Cllr Collins estimated it to be worth around €30,000.Area engineer Ben Noonan said that contact had been made with the tenants to deal with issues of dampness in their home. Linkedin Mayor welcomes the re-opening of non-essential retail across Limerick Call for ban on use of helium balloons in Limerick Seven Limerick post offices confirmed for closure Print Email Facebook Advertisement Previous articleEstuary run to recall Larry’s community spiritNext articleLarge numbers at elevated Rás Luimní Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR New role for Cllr John Sheahan Plaque unveiled to West Limerick man honouring his contribution to Sikh Culture and Religion Twitter Limerick Council social housing policy in ‘tatters’
MORE: Clive Palmer’s son loses small fortune on land bank FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON FACEBOOK Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:51Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:51 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD576p576p432p432p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenStarting your hunt for a dream home00:51 MORE: How much would you pay for a shed? MORE: Pat Rafter misses out on $1m payday MORE: NRL star’s renovated unit goes viral The overwhelming view was that it would remain in neutral (95 per cent probability).“While risks abound, the RBA Gov. indicated on November 20 the central scenario is playing out highlighting “the economy is moving in the right direction and further progress is expected in lowering unemployment and having inflation consistent with the target”.”Mr Newnaha added that annual wage growth not expected to rise above 2.75 per cent for at least the next two years “the RBA would be hard pressed to turn hawkish now”. Economists predict the Reserve Bank will keep the official cash rate at 1.5 per cent at the final board meeting of 2018 on Tuesday December 4. Picture: AAP Image/Brendan Esposito.The Reserve Bank board will keep rates at a historic low 1.5 per cent when it meets for the last time in 2018 on Tuesday — and your debts could be playing a part in that, analysts say.Financial experts and analysts across the board believe the RBA board was now “stuck in neutral” when it came to the official cash rate forecasts — and record high borrowing levels could be playing a role in that.The probability of RBA increasing rates by 25 basis points would rise in the New Year though, with TD Securities picking a 38 per cent chance by November 2019. Probability of a 25 bps RBA move from 1.5 per cent. Source: TD Securities/BloombergTD Securities senior Asia-Pacific rates strategist Prashant Newnaha said RBA’s focus on financial stability implied “there is a low probability the Bank will turn dovish with household debt to income at record highs”.He quoted RBA’s recent statement that “…the outlook for household consumption growth continues to represent a significant uncertainty for the forecasts”.The probability of RBA dropping rates was just 4 per cent, according to TB Securities analysis, and even more unlikely was that it would raise rates (1 per cent probability).More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus15 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market15 hours ago
highlights For all the Latest Sports News News, Football News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Juventus played a friendly against a K-League all-stars team.Juventus team arrived late from the airport.K-League has demanded an apology for Cristiano Ronaldo’s no-show. Seoul: South Korea’s K-League has accused Juventus of “deception” after superstar Cristiano Ronaldo sat out last week’s friendly in Seoul, enraging thousands of fans. The Korean league said it felt “disappointed and cheated” and demanded an apology from the Italian football champions after the Portuguese forward spent Friday’s game on the bench. A sell-out crowd of 65,000 made its displeasure known during the game against a K-League all-stars team, which was delayed for an hour after Juventus arrived late from the airport. After a flight delay, Juventus requested a police escort and also asked for the game to be cut to two 40-minute halves — a proposal that the K-League branded “ridiculous and insulting”. “K-League cannot help but feel disappointed and cheated by Juventus for its shamelessness,” a K-League statement said. More than 2,000 fans plan to sue the sports agency that organised the game, one of a series of pre-season appearances by European teams keen to promote themselves in Asia. The K-League was unhappy with Juventus’ response to an initial complaint, saying it did not contain an apology or explanation. The football body accused Juventus of a breach of contract by not playing Ronaldo, rejecting its explanation that he was rested on medical advice. “Ronaldo did not play even for a minute, contrary to the contract guaranteed that he will play for at least 45 minutes,” the K-League said. “If Ronaldo was unable to play, it would be a blatant deception to include Ronaldo as a substitute on the start list,” it added. The K-League also criticised the club’s travel arrangements and questioned its assertion that it took nearly two hours to get through the airport. “K-League clearly register our profound indignation and disappointment to Juventus’s irresponsible behaviour and manners, and we strongly urge Juventus to offer a sincere apology and explain the reason for Ronaldo’s no-show,” the statement said. Fans have lashed out at Ronaldo, urging a boycott of products promoted by the five-time Ballon d’Or winner, while “doing a ‘Naldo” has become a popular term for avoiding work in the office. The controversy was even dragged into the political arena when opposition lawmaker Na Kyung-won reportedly said: “There is one thing in common between (North Korean leader) Kim Jong Un and Ronaldo. They both perceive South Korea as a pushover.”
Kluber left his Triple-A outing with the Columbus Clippers against the Charlotte Knights after just one inning. Nationals injury updates: Max Scherzer nearing return; Sean Doolittle placed on injured list Corey Kluber could have hit another roadblock in his rehab.The Indians on Sunday announced the right-hander was removed from his third rehab start for precautionary reasons with left abdominal tightness. Braves’ Ronald Acuna reacts to being pulled from game for not hustling Kluber was limited to one inning with left abdominal tightness and was removed for precautionary purposes. https://t.co/IxWxObnIrA— Mandy Bell (@MandyBell02) August 18, 2019According to cleveland.com , Kluber is expected to return to Cleveland on Monday for further testing and possibly an MRI exam to determine the extent of the injury. Related News Yankees adopt Brett Gardner’s dugout antics for new celebration Kluber, 33, has remained on the injured list with a broken arm since being struck on the right forearm by a line drive off the bat of Marlins outfielder Brian Anderson in a game May 1. He was scheduled to throw 75-80 pitches Sunday but threw just 20, walking a pair of batters without giving up a hit or a run.The two-time Cy Young Award winner had a 2-3 record with a 5.80 ERA in his first seven starts this season before getting hurt.