WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists Beginning November 2, The Washington Post will launch a new press freedom initiative dedicated to highlighting the work and campaigns of press freedom organizations like RSF in advancing the protection and safety of journalists worldwide. The Post’s readers can learn more about the organizations and their work, as well as view the latest reporting on press freedom issues at www.wapo.st/pressfreedom. The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) and Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP) are also participating in the Press Freedom Partnership. RSF is honored to expand its partnership with The Washington Post after working with the news outlet on previous projects. These include the campaign to bring home journalist Jason Rezaian after he was unjustly detained for 544 days in Iran while working as The Post’s Tehran Bureau Chief, working with the parents of detained American journalist Austin Tice to secure his safe return from Syria, and the annual launch of RSF’s World Press Freedom Index in 2017 and 2018 at events held at The Post’s Washington, DC office. News News Receive email alerts United StatesAmericas RSF_en Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is thrilled to announce its participation in The Washington Post’s Press Freedom Partnership to promote freedom of the press and raise awareness for the rights of journalists around the world in pursuit of the truth. November 5, 2018 US – RSF joins The Washington Post’s Press Freedom Partnership News June 7, 2021 Find out more to go further “Reporters Without Borders is thrilled to take its long-standing partnership with The Washington Post to the next level with this new initiative to regularly highlight our work to defend journalists, bloggers, and the free flow of information online,” said Margaux Ewen, RSF’s North America director. “With press freedom increasingly under threat across the globe and attacks against members of the press on the rise, the Post’s leadership in shining a light on these issues has represented a beacon of hope for those who are risking their lives by simply reporting the news.”RSF looks forward to building its partnership with The Washington Post and like-minded organizations to work towards achieving a safer environment for journalists and media workers around the world. NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say United StatesAmericas Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says Organisation June 3, 2021 Find out more News April 28, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on United States
Tags: ASA College/Menlo College/Petr Ropek FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPRICE, Utah-Friday, the USU-Eastern Utah athletic department announced that forward Petr Ropek signed a letter of intent with NAIA Menlo College of Atherton, Calif.Ropek, a Czech national who averaged 5 points and 2.5 rebounds per game last season, played one season with the Eagles, helping the team reach the XVIII tournament semifinals in March.Ropek previously played at ASA College in Brooklyn, N.Y. before coming to Price.Ropek is currently the fourth Eagle from last season’s men’s basketball squad to sign with a four-year institution. June 29, 2018 /Sports News – Local Former USU-Eastern Men’s Basketball Player Signs With Menlo Written by Brad James
Brad James August 20, 2018 /Sports News – Local USU Football Closes Practices As of Monday FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailLOGAN, Utah-Per a report released early Monday, Utah State football announced all practices moving forward this week are closed to the public ahead of the August 31 game at Big Ten power Michigan State.This is a fairly experienced team for sixth-year head coach Matt Wells as the Aggies return 18 starters, nine apiece on offense and defense.Last season, the Aggies went 6-7 and 4-4 in the Mountain West en route to a berth in the Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl at Tucson, Ariz.This game saw Utah State fall 26-20 to New Mexico State.The Aggies’ home opener, incidentally, is September 8 against this same New Mexico State squad. Tags: closed practices/Michigan State/New Mexico State/Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl/Utah State Football Written by
AT THE NEWARK MUSEUM — Fifth grade students at Horace Mann Community School recently visited Newark Museum. Students were able to examine Native American artifacts and created their own clay pots in the style of the Hopi Indians. ×
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest There are many diverse paths that lead Ohio FFA members to the organization and even more paths that will take them far beyond their FFA years. The one thing they will all have in common, forever, is the pride of donning that signature blue corduroy jacket.As we get ready to highlight thousands of these young people next month at the Ohio FFA Convention, I found out about one of those legendary jackets that may have chosen a path all its own.One of my friends on Facebook posted about her brother-in-law taking a trip to Florence, Italy, and noticing a fellow walking the streets in what wouldn’t be an unusual sight here in the U.S. — an FFA jacket. What made this jacket even more fascinating was where it was from. The back of the jacket had the great state of Ohio embroidered on it and below the FFA logo was the same exact school where my Facebook friend had graduated, as well as my Mom and Dad — Northridge High School in Licking County.Once this discovery was made, the gentleman was asked to stop and take a picture or two. Then, what everybody wanted to know was whose name was embroidered on the front of the jacket: John BevanTurns out Mr. Bevan graduated in 1977 (one year after my Dad and one year before my Mom) from Northridge High School. The guy in the picture, according to classmates on Facebook, was certainly not him. So, how in the world did his FFA jacket get halfway around the globe?“I held onto that jacket for almost 40 years and just last year I was in the process of moving,” Bevan said. “It wouldn’t fit me anymore so I asked my kids if they would like it and they said no, so it got packed up.”Eventually the bag that the jacket was stored in made its way to a Goodwill store in Texas, where Bevan now resides.“When I first saw it on Facebook with a guy in Italy wearing it I thought ‘Wow! How did it get there?’” Bevan said. “It was amazing.”Bevan grew up on a small farm in Croton, Ohio and worked for several area farmers throughout his youth.From the 1977 Northridge High School yearbook. John Bevan, sporting his FFA jacket, is top left.“Having that jacket and being in the FFA meant a lot to me,” Bevan said. “Being around the farm and being a part of the FFA gave me so many experiences that most people will never get and that I will never forget.”Bevan said even though it has only been a little over a year since he let his FFA jacket go, he wishes after seeing it on a stranger a half a world away that he could have it back.“There is no doubt that guy in Florence, Italy is looking better in that jacket than I would,” Bevan said. “When I could fit in that jacket, I had a beard very similar to that one and when I saw the pictures for the first time I thought it could be a younger version of me. It was very surreal. I wish I hadn’t let it go.”
At face value, attic exhaust fans make a lot of sense: if your attic is too hot, you force more air through it to cool it down. To be efficient, you use a solar-powered attic exhaust fan. When the sun is shining and heating up your attic, that’s when the photovoltaic panel wired to the exhaust fan powers the fan. Pretty slick.But there is a catch: why is your attic “too hot?” It is probably because living space under the attic is uncomfortable…from the less-than-well insulated and air sealed ceiling that separates the attic from those rooms. If you don’t have a continuous air seal at the ceiling plane, then your solar-powered attic exhaust fan can pull conditioned air into the attic—now that will cool it down! It can be worse than that: if that attic fan is depressurizing living space that has atmospherically-vented gas appliances or a problem with radon, you may have moved from wasting energy to indoor air quality problems. RELATED GBA ARTICLES Fans in the Attic: Do They Help or Do They Hurt?Martin’s Useless Products ListGeorgia Pulls the Attic-Ventilator Plug (Sort of) INFORMATION ON POWERED ATTIC VENTILATORS Effective Attic VentilationHome Energy: Drawbacks Of Powered Attic VentilatorsFSEC: Performance Assessment of Photovoltaic Attic Ventilator Fans Field research supports these scenarios. Work done in 1995 by John Tooley and Bruce Davis of Advanced Energy Corp (as reported in Home Energy, “Drawbacks of Powered Attic Ventilators”) revealed depressurization issues and associated energy, moisture and combustion safety problems. And field research done by the Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) specifically on solar-powered attic ventilation (“Performance Assessment of Photovoltaic Attic Ventilator Fans”) concluded that the approximately $850 installed cost of the system yielded relatively modest cooling energy savings and an unfavorable payback over more than twenty years.The bottom line? Proceed with caution. If you have a well-sealed and insulated attic floor and either no HVAC equipment in the attic or all of the HVAC equipment and ducts in the attic are well sealed, then you could install solar-powered attic ventilation with some cooling energy benefit and little potential for safety or indoor air quality problems. For far too many homes, this is a mighty big “if.”Joe Lstiburek of Building Science Corp. puts it this way:“In order for the fan to work the air needs to come from the outside and not be pulled from the house so this means that the attic ceiling needs to be airtight. If the attic ceiling is airtight you don’t need the fan. Your money is better spent on something else.”For most homes, it will be “greener” to take the money you would have spent on the PV-powered attic ventilation and upgrade the air sealing and insulation in your attic and on your HVAC system.
El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes “To be honest we didn’t really know what to expect going to the game because, of course, we prioritized rest over practice,” said TNT head coach Nash Racela, whose team played six games in the Commissioner’s Cup Finals.“And we really didn’t know what to expect from our import but I think the earlier we could learn to play with each other, and with the import, the better.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsDespite playing in only its first game, the KaTropa’s control of the game never seemed to be in peril.Although TNT lost a 12-point lead, 95-83, when Kia mounted a 8-1 run to cut the margin to 96-91 at with 3:40 remaining, the KaTropa was quick to regain control of the situation. FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ LATEST STORIES TNT built another double-digit lead, 104-94, when Troy Rosario converted on a breakaway layup with 1:09 left in the game.Michael Craig made a splash in his first game in the conference with 21 points, 13 rebounds, and 12 assists to lead TNT while Troy Rosario finished with a double-double of 18 points and 10 boards.Markeith Cummings led Kia with 27 points but turned the ball over 10 times.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ PBA IMAGESANTIPOLO CITY—TNT didn’t begin the PBA Governors’ Cup as early as the other teams but it went straight to work turning back Kia, 106-96, Friday at Ynares Sports Centre here in Antipolo.The KaTropa started their conference more than a week after the Governors’ Cup opened and immediately tacked on a 1-0 card while the Picanto languished at the bottom of the standings with a 0-3 record.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress WATCH: Simone Biles shares goofy video after wisdom teeth surgery View comments
Three members of the Paralympics squad from Jordan have been charged with committing sexual offences against a child and a woman, The Sun reported on Wednesday.The men are part of the 19-strong Jordanian squad which has been training in Britain for the past two weeks.Police in Antrim, Northern Ireland, said two of the men — aged 23 and 35 — face two counts of sexual activity with a child.The younger man is also accused of voyeurism. He and the third man, aged 36, have been charged with sexually assaulting a woman.The three were arrested before they were due to head to London for the start of the Games.They are expected to appear at a magistrates court.The men were held after complaints by staff at a leisure centre in Antrim, where they have been training, and two local women.The Paralympic Games will take place Aug 29 to Sep 9.
Alaska 93 – Banchero 23, Manuel 17, Daniels 12, Teng 10, Pascual 7, Thoss 7, Enciso 5, Galliguez 5, Casio 3, Racal 2, Cruz 2.Meralco 89 – Lawal 27, Amer 11, Salva 9, Quinto 9, Newsome 8, Caram 7, Hugnatan 4, Hodge 4, De Ocampo 3, Pinto 3, Canaleta 2, Jackson 2, Almazan 0.Quarters: 18-19, 44-42, 71-66, 93-89. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LATEST STORIES PVL: Motolite posts first win, keeps BaliPure winless Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport MOST READ Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netANTIPOLO — Alaska slipped past Meralco, 93-89, in a joust between two squads with identical records and streaks in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup Sunday at Ynares Center here. Chris Banchero delivered his finest scoring performance in the conference yet, scoring 23 points to lead the Aces. Vic Manuel, playing only in his second game in months, seemed to have recovered his lethal form, tossing in 17 points.ADVERTISEMENT “I just expected it to be a tough game,” Aces coach Alex Compton said, whose squad improved to 4-2, good for the fourth spot in the tournament ladder. “Our locals, all of them, did a great job of playing together,” he added.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsChris Daniels was limited to just 12 points and seven rebounds due to foul trouble, which enabled Banchero, Manuel and Jeron Teng crank it up late. “It’s good to have him out there, doing what he does,” Compton said of Manuel. Gani Lawal had a commendable showing with 27 points and 26 boards in Meralco’s losing stand, while Baser Amer added 11 points.Nico Salva and Bong Quinto both fired nine points each off the bench helping the Bolts narrow the gap to 88-87 in with 1:46 left to play,Meralco dropped to 3-3.Alaska goes up against Phoenix while Meralco battles TNT next on Saturday at Araneta Coliseum in Cubao.The ScoresADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss View comments
New Delhi: Air Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria will be the next Chief of Air Staff, the government announced on Thursday.Bhadauria, who took over as the Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force in May this year, will take charge from the incumbent Chief B S Dhanoa on September 30 on his superannuation. “Government has decided to appoint Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria, PVSM, AVSM, VM, ADC, presently Vice Chief of Air Staff as the next Chief of the Air Staff,” Defence Ministry’s Principal spokesperson, said on Twitter. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghAn alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Bhadauria was commissioned into the fighter stream of the IAF in June 1980 and won the coveted ‘Sword of Honour’ for standing first in the overall order of merit. He has held various command, staff and instructional appointments at different levels, including the present one as Vice Chief of Air Staff. During his nearly four decades career, Bhadauria commanded a Jaguar squadron and a premier Air Force Station. He was also the Chief Test Pilot and Project Director of the National Flight Test Centre on Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) project. He was extensively involved in the initial prototype flight tests on the LCA. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadBhadauria also has 4250 hours of experience on 26 types of fighters and transport aircraft with the unique distinction of being an Experimental Test Pilot, a category ‘A’ Qualified Flying Instructor and a Pilot Attack Instructor. He was the Air Attache at the Indian Embassy in Moscow, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Projects), Commandant of the National Defence Academy, Deputy Chief of the Air Staff at Air Head Quarter and Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Southern Air Command.